Barbecue Contact Lens Warning - Facebook Rumour
A 21 year old guy had worn a pair of contact lenses during a barbecue party.(An event or meal at which food is cooked outdoors over an open grill or fire)
While barbecuing he stared at the fire charcoals continuously for 2-3 minutes.
After a few minutes, he started to scream for help and moved rapidly, jumping up and down.
No one in the party knew why he was doing this?
Then he admitted into the Hospital, the doctor said he`ll be blind permanently because of the contact lenses that he had worn.
Contact lenses are made by plastics, and the heat from the charcoal melted
his contact lenses.
DO NOT WEAR CONTACT LENSES WHERE OVERHEATING AND FLAMES ARE CONCERNED.... OR
DONT FORGET TO SHARE :)
This warning that claims staring at charcoals in a barbecue can cause the lens to melt into the eye thus causing blindness is completely untrue.
We were unable to locate any verifiable instance of a single case of this occuring and with millions of contact lens wearers worldwide, if such an injury could occur, it would have happened many times - and presumably not only limited to barbecues but to other heat emitted devices such as stoves and heaters - but alas there are no recorded instances of such injuries happening.
Simply put, the amount of heat one would face standing a normal distance away from a barbecue is just not hot enough to cause any damage to a contact lens and if it were, then it would most likely cause damage to the eye itself thus effecting non-lens wearers.
In fact, if such a relatively mild heat quantity could cause such serious injury, contact lens simply would not be available for risk of injury.
In fact this story is just a variant of a long running urban legend that according to Snopes dates back to the 80s with welders, not "barbecuists" as the focus of the story.
The message is utter nonsense and should not be circulated.
Make a comment; Click here.
comments powered by Disqus