Camera Flash Causes Electrocution in Mumbai? - Facebook Rumour

2 Feb 2012 - Article No: 1488. Filed under: Facebook Scams | Facebook Rumour




WARNING TO ALL! Please READ and SHARE!

Can ELECTRICITY pass through Flash light of the Digital camera to your body??? Yes it is 100% true..!
This is a true incidence reported of a boy aged 19, who was studying in 1st year of engineering, who died in Keshvani Hospital, Mumbai. He was admitted in the Hospital as a burned patient. Reason ??????This boy had gone to Amravati (a place located in State of Maharashtra ) on a study tour, on their return they were waiting at the railway station to catch the train. Many of them started taking pictures of their friends using "Mobile Phones" and / or "Digital Camera". One of them complained that, he was unable to capture the full group of friends in one frame in the Digicam.This boy moved away to a distance to get the whole group.He failed to notice that at an angle above his head, 40,000 volts electrical line was passing through.As soon as he clicked the digital camera? 40,000 volt current passed through the camera flash light to his camera and then from his camera to his fingers & to his body. All this happened within a fraction of a second. His body was half burned.They arranged for an ambulance & his burned body was brought to Keshavani Hospital, Mumbai.For one & half days or so he was conscious & talking. Doctors did not have much hopes as there was a lot of complex issues in his body. He passed away later.Now how many of us are aware about these technical threats & dangers? Even if we are, how many of us are adhering?? Now should we call ourselves as educated and knowledgeable people?


*Please avoid mobile phones on petrol outlets.* Please avoid talking on mobile phones while driving.* Change that "Chalta Hai Yaar Attitude".* Please avoid talking on mobile phones while kept in charging mode without disconnecting from wall socket.* Please do not keep mobile phones on your bed while charging and / on wooden furniture.* Avoid using mobile phones / Digital cameras near high voltage electrical lines like in railway stations and avoid using flash.


This story which is currently circulating prolifically through Facebook and Internet forums claims a boy, 19 from Mumbai, was electrocuted after he took a photo underneath a high tension power line and the electricity travelled through the flash, into the camera and into the boys body.

From what we can find from the Internet, the story is almost certainly false, or at least does not tell the entire story.

Firstly, the first red flag lies within the messages failure to identify any legitimate sources to back up its story, such as a media article describing the story. Additionally we were unable to find any news story relating to the tale in the message.

Secondly, we were in fact unable to find any story relating to anyone anywhere actually being electrocuted as a result of a camera flash conducting electricity, even in wet or humid conditions where one would expect more dangerous conditions. If it were possible for a flash to conduct electricity, one would generally expect many, many fatalities relating to the issue since not taking photographs near power lines is not generally considering common safety advice. However we were unable to find any.

Thirdly, whilst none of our staff are well versed in the subject of physics and electricity, research tells us that electricity cannot pass through light since light is made from photons, and photons cannot conduct electricity, thus a camera flash could not conduct electricity. (editors note: feel free to elaborate on our basic explanation and send it to us, laymans terms only!)

Fourthly, if, for some reason a camera flash did mange to conduct electricity that would mean not only the camera holder would be electrocuted, but anyone within the immediate range of the flash would also suffer the same fate.

Obviously coming into direct contact with power lines is dangerous, but coming into extreme proximity of them can be dangerous as well. If the story outlined in the message did occur, then it is more likely that the electrocution happened as a result of induction, whereas the camera itself was within the charged field of the power line, and when the picture was taken the induction of electricity occured. If this was the case the boy was standing far too close to the power line to be considered safe, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the flash made by the camera. However one would need to be so close to the power line than one would typically be able to get.

Can ELECTRICITY pass through Flash light of the Digital camera to your body??? No, it is 100% false!

The best advice would be to avoid being in extreme close proximity to power lines as a standard safety protocol. However the chances of getting electocuted via your camera flash are zero.

As regards to the advice at the end of the message -

Please avoid mobile phones on petrol outlets - Whilst this has been in the past safety advice for petrol station users, it is now considered to be based more on myth after much research and even an episode on it by the MythBusters!
BBC News

Please avoid talking on mobile phones while driving. - Obviously very sound advice. You should abolutely not drive and talk on your mobile at the same time.

Please avoid talking on mobile phones while kept in charging mode without disconnecting from wall socket. - Generally probably not best to do, but it will more likely cause problems with the battery than any safety issues. Problems with the phone may cause an electric shock, but it is extremely unlikely.
Wilson Electronics

Find this article helpful? Then please help us and your friends by clicking the share button below! Also find us on Facebook and Twitter.

Make a comment; Click here.

comments powered by Disqus